From the start, the Program has been presented with the intent of meeting the growing demand for teacher training in the Higher Education Institutions of North/Northeast Regions, with the main heuristic reference being the different social processes that dynamically form and reform the capital-labor relation and the expressions of social issues. In this context, the program inserts itself in the field of knowledge that contemplates the relation between State and society, social rights, social policies, and the theoretical-methodological foundations of the education and professional practice in Social Work.
The Program is consolidated with an important role in teacher and professional training, with an increase in academic and technical outputs for Social Work and related areas. Its proposition focuses on promoting studies and research that evaluate and feed strategies for the formulation and management of social policies on emancipatory social transformations and overcoming social inequalities.
The relevance of the Program in its trajectory is perceptible in its contribution to the consolidation of Social Services in the Northeast Region, by taking its historical role in teacher, researchers and professionals education. This action can be perceived through the active participation of our Program Professors in the implementation and expansion of undergraduate and postgraduate courses in the area.
Social Work and Social Policy
– Social Work, Labor and Social Policy
– State, Social Rights and Social Protection
- Dr.ª Luziana Ramalho Ribeiro – Coordinator
- Dr.ª Ana Paula Rocha de Sales Miranda – Vice-coordinator
The Master in Social Work
The Strictu Sensu Master’s Degree Program of the Graduate Program in Social Work of the UFPB was created by resolution no. 202/77 of CONSUNI and implemented in 1978, having been accredited in 1985, through Opinion No. 754/85 of the Federal Council of Education, being the first Master of the Social Service Area of the Northeast and the fifth in the country.
Train staff at the MSc level in the area of Social Service and Social Policy to work in the higher education and in the development of interdisciplinary research.
I- To foment the production of academic knowledge in the Postgraduate level in Social Service area;
II- To develop research activities with a didactic and scientific purpose, aiming to produce, deepen and disseminate knowledge based on contemporary analytical-critical paradigms
III – To promote academic-scientific exchange and cooperation with educational and research institutions located both nationally and abroad;
IV – Contribute to the analysis and formulation of public and social policies.
In line with the objectives of the PPGSS / UFPB, the masters graduated in the Program are qualified to work as researchers and teachers in the field of Social Work and social policies, with theoretical and methodological contributions that enable the production of knowledge, formulation and analysis criticism of professional practices and the management of public policies on emancipatory social transformations and of overcoming social inequalities. Thus, the masters graduated on the Program are prepared to act as teachers and researchers in research and higher education institutions in Brazil and in other countries, with attributes to practice teaching in Social Work and related areas, in public and private institutions and/or to join national and foreign research centers in doctoral programs and other research modalities as professionals committed to the construction of a society without class oppression that respects and values cultural, generational, ethnic and gender diversities.
Partnerships and Mobility
In the perspective of continuous scientific and technological updating and improvement of the quality of the work developed by the faculty and students, our Program maintains institutional mobility plans, in the country and abroad, to intensify the academic fellowship, through a university partnership, between foreign HEIs and Brazilians.
The PPGSS has made significant efforts in articulating an academic network through agreements and partnerships with institutions of higher education and research promotion, such as the Casadinho Project/PROCAD (2011-2016) with the Pontifical Catholic University of São Paulo (PUC- SP). This process has expanded other forms of exchange with students linked to the project, as well as the formation of a network of professors between three Postgraduate programs of PPGSS/UFPB, PEPGSS/PUCSP and PPGSSPS/UEL-PR, enabling other joint activities of researchers, such as academic production, organization of events, and research and educational missions. Another development of this process has been the construction of tools with the Project “Social Topography of the State of Paraíba”, also in partnership with Cedest / INPE / PUC-SP, coordinated by Dr. Aldaíza Sposati. This project has made possible the interdisciplinary configuration of an academic network with the participation of social workers, space engineers, architects, geographers, lawyers, among other professionals.
Another important academic exchange is being developed by the Program for the implementation of the permanent education project of SUAS workers, CapacitaSUAS (2013-2016), through public call notice of the National Network of Institutions of Higher Education enabled by the MDS to carry out the training. The agreement for the development of the project in the State of Paraíba involves this Ministry, the UFPB, the Secretariat of State for Human Development (SEDH) and the Foundation for Research Support of the State of Paraíba (Fapesq). Teachers and technicians from various universities and institutions in the country are involved in the implementation of the CapacitaSUAS Courses in PPGSS by the GEPAC in partnership with NEPPS, UFPB, PUC/SP, UEL. UNESP, PUC/PR, UFPE, UNB, State Secretaries of Social Assistance of Paraíba, Ceará, Federal District, and Paraná.
In the activities of the PPGSS research groups various modalities of academic mobility are carried out with the following study centers:
– Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (UFRJ) – The partnership takes place through research groups of the two educational institutions, in the organization of events, and in the participation of postgraduate teachers and students as guests in meetings and discussion groups.
– Oswaldo Cruz Foundation (FIOCRUZ) – research group partnerships enable information exchange, and participation in events.
– Federal University of Rio Grande do Norte (UFRN) and the State University of Rio Grande do Norte (UERN) – the partnership is through permanent relationship between research groups on related topics, participation of teachers in thesis jury, defense of dissertations, selection, public call notice of PIBIC, and participation in events.
– Federal University of Pernambuco (UFPE) – the institutional relationship involves the participation of professors and postgraduate students in research groups of both universities and events, with emphasis also on the training of UFPB professors in the PhD and postdoc program of the UFPE.
– Federal University of Alagoas (UFAL) – technical and academic partnership take place through the continuous relationship between the study groups of related topics, participation of lecturers in thesis and public tenders’ jury, and in scientific events.
– The State University of Paraíba (UEPB) – the previous partnership between the two universities, through the PPGSS for teacher training advanced, since 2013, for the articulation of research groups, with the implementation of the master’s degree at that university. In addition to participating in public tenders and thesis jury, and thematic courses, seminars, round tables, lectures, involving both institutions.
– University Center of João Pessoa (UNIPÊ) – events are organized by the two institutions, with emphasis on the continuous participation of University Center’s professors in the postgraduate research sectors of the PPGSS/UFPB.
Since 2014, a fertile partnership with the PPGSS/UFS started, with the participation of a faculty member from the PPGSS/UFPB in dissertation defense’s jury and the elaboration of articles for publication in an anthology.
-In 2015-2016, an important articulation between the Group of Studies and Research in Political Economy and Work (GEPET) of the PPGSS/UFPB and the Research Group: Labor, Public Policies and Social Work of PUC/Rio also began. This partnership started from the advisory work carried out by Professor Inez Stampa (PUC/Rio) to the PPGSS/UFPB.
In order to stimulate and expand institutional exchanges and agreements, the UFPB’s International Affairs Office has been investing in measures that will enable and strengthen the formation of international academic networks for discussion and exchange of experiences, as well as the integration of postgraduate education and research areas.
In these mobilities, the teachers of the PPGSS/UFPB have carried out activities of postdoctoral qualification, short-term studies, lecture-giving, researches and expositions of academic works, participation in scientific events. And likewise, the Program has received researchers from several universities, namely:
– Contemporary History Institute (IHC) at the Universidade Nova de Lisboa, at the Superior Institute Miguel Torga, at the Faculty of Economics of the University of Coimbra, at the University of Porto and Marianne Lacomblez at the Institute of Contemporary History at FCSH/Univ, Nova de Lisboa (Portugal), through the Research Group on Work (GPT), since a partnership started with the postdoctoral internship of Professor Maria Augusta Tavares;
– University of New Mexico (Mexico), also after the postdoctor of a professor already disconnected from the Program (Professor Aurea Carneiro), but the partnership remained through the research group SEQSONE of the PPGSS
The international programs and covenants of the UFPB, extending to the PPGSS, to carry out internships, orientations and academic tutorials of undergraduate and postgraduate students in Social Work, cover Spain – the University of Salamanca and Valencia; Portugal – University of Lisbon, University of Coimbra, Instituto Superior Miguel Torga, University of Porto and Marianne Lacomblez (Porto); Germany – University of Vechta; Switzerland – Haute Ecole de Travail Social; Mexico – Autonomous University of Nuevo Leon.
– Another relevant action of the PPGSS that brings together researchers from external study centers has being organized annually, through the dialogues of one of the Program students who entered the doctorate course (and have since completed) at the Université Paul Valery – Montpellier III – France. The events also include researchers from the Université de Strasbourg – France and the University of Ninho – Portugal, and involve three research groups of the PPGSS: SEQSONE, GEPAC and GRUPHIR.
From Casadinho/PROCAD, in partnership with PUCSP, which develops a joint project with the École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales de France, a postdoctoral researcher at PPGSS, Prof. Marcelo Gallo carried out a international internship in 2015 at this Center for Studies abroad, under the guidance of Prof. Serge Paugam. Also as a result of the PPRODAD, in 2015, two NEPPS/PPGSS researchers, PPGSS/UFPB’s graduates, started their PhD course at the University Institute of Lisboa-Portugal, following an agreement with the UFPB, continuing the partnership between the two Universities and building connections between research groups of the two Programs.
In 2016, the PPGSS/UFPB carried out 3 important activities with the presence of professors from International Research Centers. The first one organized by the GEPET Research Group in conjunction with the PPGSS of UFPE, on the occasion of the opening lecture of the semester in July / 2016, with the lecture EL ESTADO DE BIENESTAR IN EUROPA IN LA CRISIS, given by Professor Dr. Javier Moreno Fuentes, researcher of the Institute of Policies and Public Goods, from the Higher Council of Scientific Research – Madrid-Spain.
In November 2016, the “Social Inequality in Europe: impacts on work, gender and family” was organized by the GEPET and GEPAC research groups, with the participation of professors Dr. Francisco Javier Moreno Fuentes (CSIC – Madrid / Spain) and Dr. Pau Marí-Klose (CSIC – Spain);
Also in November 2016, the 1st International Colloquium on Social Policies, Multi-territories and Challenges for the Management of Social Protection, organized by NEPPS, was attended by professors and researchers from various national and international centers. From this event, connections and partnerships were established to carry out mobility of researchers, with a international internship for PhD students in the PPGSS, and for professors and students through the foreign professors, from Portugal: Prof. Dr. Jorge Manuel Leitão Ferreira (ISCTE / LISBOA) and from Spain: Prof. Dr. Francisco Javier Moreno Fuentes (CSIC – Madrid) and Prof. Dr. Pau Marí-Klose (CSIC- Madrid), invited by Dr. Marinalva Conserva to act as guest lecturers at SCTE/Portugal and Professor Cláudia Gomes for postdoctoral studies in Spain in 2017, in addition to the construction of a project, presented to CNPq, through public notice, for development of an international and inter-regional network, linked to the Study and Research Group in Social Poetics (NEPPS).
Regulations and Resolutions
Regulation of PPGSS – RESOLUTION Nº 01/2016
Resolution No. 1 2016 – Aprova critérios para credenciamento, permanência, descredenciamento e recredenciamento de docentes no PPGSS/ UFPB